Sunday, February 21, 2010

Comfort. On a plate. In a bowl.

We snarky folk tend to be easily annoyed by most things in this world. It's these annoyances that force our wit to be so scathing. Defense mechanism, survival tactic, call it what you will. It works. And, if you're cute like me, people even find it endearing some of the time. But snarkiness can quickly fall over the edge into scrooge-dom.


Luckily, there are a few things in this world that keep me from taking that plunge: my family, my bf, kitties, good books, Netflix and comfort food. Man oh man. I once dated a guy who didn't believe in comfort food. WHAT. Thank the gods that didn't last.


So today's post features a couple of oh so comforting foods (one made by me, one eaten by me in a restaurant)


First up:


Sweet and Savory Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Pork Roast



You will need:

1 boneless pork roast
3-4 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 small onion
5 cloves garlic
apple juice or cider
1 tbsp. cinnamon
salt & pepper

Chop 3 large cloves of garlic very finely (I used my mini food processor to get it done much faster). rinse meat and trim any excess fat off. With a tiny drizzle of oil, rub all sides of meat with chopped garlic, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Place peeled onion, 2 whole cloves of garlic (slightly crushed) and carrots in 6 qt. slow cooker. Heat a skillet with very small amount of oil. When the pan is good and hot, sear the rubbed meat on all sides. Add seared meat to slow cooker. Pour juice or cider into slow cooker so it almost covers everything. Cook on high for 6-7 hours. Remove onion and garlic, throw away (or eat them if you want. I don't care). Place carrots and meat onto plate. Boil the juice or cider, make into gravy by whisking in a flour and water mixture. Serve over mashed potatoes. Die and go to heaven. Cause it's that damn good.


My mom first made this recipe years ago and it became an instant favorite. Andrew was skeptical of this strange combination, but was quickly converted once he tasted it. This roast just completely falls apart. It's so tender and the flavor will blow your mind. Oh and the carrots! Yums. As a side note, I used light apple juice (aka already diluted for you apple juice), so it was less sugary - and it was just as good as using the more expensive cider or regular juice.


...


My sister's birthday was a few days ago, and to celebrate the family went to dinner at one of her favorite restauraunts; Dolce Vita in Dearborn   Riveriew, MI. Oh.My.Word. It was my first time there and I can't wait to go back. Perfect arancini as an appetizer ( I forgot to take a picture). And for my meal:


Ricotta and Spinach Rigatoni with Grilled Chicken





I don't know why this picture is kind of blurry, but you get the idea. Holy Flavor Parade. Garlic-y, cheesy and oh so delicious. I think the best part about this dish is that despite the fact that it's a cream sauce, it wasn't really heavy. The sauce was surprisingly light. And who doesn't love ricotta cheese? Unbelievably good.

Hooray for good family and good food.

2 comments:

  1. Dolce Vita is located in Riverview, MI! I am going to make this roast sometime this week...as it has been many years since I have had it! I'm not sure it will turn out like mom's, but I can try, right?!

    Love ya' sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fabulous roast. I haven't made in a while either, since there is only me at home to eat it, so why don't one of you make it and invite dear old mom for a treat. I would love it.

    ReplyDelete