Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lemons = Love

Alright. I admit it. I'm a sucker for anything lemon. (Save for the lemon-foot bars served at the cafe I work at - for only 2 more days!! *Insert squeal of delight here*. A part of me always feels guilty serving them to unknowing customers. Nobody deserves to pay for foot flavored food. Ahh alliteration...)

I digress. The point is, I LOVE LEMON. One of my favorite lemony concoctions? My grandma's lemon bars. The crust is buttery and slightly cookie like, and the lemon topping is out of this world. The perfect amount of sweet and tart. This was only my second time making them, and while I know they'll never measure to Grandma's, they're pretty damn good. I mean, really, really good. And honestly, not so complicated. Adding a food processor to my list of kitchen appliances meant that making the crust was a breeze.

So, you will need:

For the Crust:

2 c flour
1 c powdered sugar
2 stickers of butter, room temperature
pinch of salt

For the filling:

4 eggs
6 tbsp all purpose flour
2 c granulated sugar
6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
(seriously, this makes a huge difference)

Preheat your oven to 350degrees; lightly grease a 9x13 pan.

To make the crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl (or food processor). Cut in the butter to make a crumbly mixture (you can use your hands or just put the food processor on low for a minute or two). The dough should look crumbly, but stick together when you pinch some between your fingers. Press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.



Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, sugar, flour and lemon juice.



Pour over baked crust, bake for 25 minutes. Let cool.


Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Slice and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Lemon is the best. Lemon bars, even better. I will definitely be making these!

    ReplyDelete